Six Tips to Planning the Perfect Summer Vacation
Summer vacations are a great chance to enjoy beautiful weather, explore a new city, and spend time with loved ones. Check out these six tips to help you plan your summer excursion, and navigate any speed bumps the season might throw your way.
- Plan For Crowds. Summertime is the most popular season for travel and big crowds can be aggravating when they catch you unprepared. If you’re at a jam-packed festival or theme park, plan ways to keep in touch with your group in case you get separated. Wear brightly colored clothing or bandanas, use a tracking app like Find My Friends, or pick a spot to regroup to find each other in a crowd. If you’re traveling with children use the buddy system or hold hands to keep everyone together.
Beat crowds at the beach by getting there early to stake out a prime spot. Use umbrellas, coolers, blankets, or towels to make your claim. If you forget your beach supplies, the shops on and around the Virginia Beach Boardwalk can supply all your needs.
- Choose the Right Time to Travel. Timing is key when it comes to summer travel. Since so many people are embarking on their vacations, airports and highways can get congested quickly. Plan for extra travel time to accommodate all kinds of traffic and keep travel friendly activities handy to stave off boredom. Because many people choose to start their vacations on weekends and holidays, you can avoid a big chunk of the crowd just by scheduling your flight or drive for a different time. Websites such as Kayak and Orbitz can help you compare flights to find the best dates and ticket for you.
- Pack for the Sand and Sun. You can’t have summer adventures without summer gear. Of course breezy summer clothing like shorts and sandals are a must, but it’s also a good idea to bring a jacket in case the temperature drops in the evening. You’ll want to be protected from the elements, so don’t forget hats, bug spray, sunscreen, and a reusable water bottle to stay hydrated and safe. If you plan to do a lot of water activities water proof wallets and phone cases could end up saving the day.
- Plan Outdoor Fun that Won’t Leave You Feeling Fried. Is there anything more refreshing than a dip in some cool water? Virginia Beach offers so many different ways to enjoy a good splash; you might have trouble choosing. There are miles of oceanfront surf, more tranquil bay beaches, and the area’s only water park Ocean Breeze Water Park.
- Stay Cool in the Great Indoors. Summer is the perfect time for fun in the sun, but there’s nothing quite like a cold blast of air conditioning on a hot day. You can stay cool by planning some back up activities indoors, just in case it gets too hot outside. Virginia Beach has a huge number of fun options such as: the Virginia Aquarium IMAX Theater, iFLY Indoor Skydiving, the Virginia Beach Rock Gym, Lynnhaven and Pembroke malls, the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art, and more.
- Don’t’ Forget Downtime. A vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing, so try not to push yourself too hard. The heat can be exhausting and dehydration is a very real concern. Scheduling down time is a good way to prevent this. And, it doesn’t have to be boring- catch a movie, find a cool place to read, take a nap, or sit with refreshing beverage and enjoy the sea breeze.